You might need a certified translation of evidence for use in court. For birth certificates. Certificates of incorporation. Or any of a hundred other types of mission-critical documents. The financial and legal institutions which use Temple when they need such translation continually present us with a diverse range of materials for certification.

Our commitment to rigorous quality management procedures always remains the same. Meeting the prestigious ISO 17100:2015 standard and being a proud member of the UK Association of Translation Companies, Temple Translations can provide you with a certified translation of any document you might hold.

Types of Certified Translation

Certified translation requires additional layers of expertise compared to the standard or specialist business translations we provide.

Our highly experienced professional translators cover every language and dialect. While our expert project managers – accredited as meeting the highly sought-after ISO 9001:2008 Quality Management standard – are standing by to ensure you get just the right kind of certification for your needs:

Certified by Translator or Agency (Certificate of Authenticity)

A certificate of authenticity is the most basic form of the certified translation. The UK Home Office and other official national bodies and institutions such as universities, schools, insurance providers, or potential future employees typically require it.

As a long-standing Association of Translation Companies (ATC) member, Temple is accredited to certify our translations with an authorised ATC stamp. We will also provide you with an official certificate validating the accuracy of the translation and confirming that it was provided by a professional translation agency, dated and signed on our letterhead by a team member.

Notarised Translations

The notarised translation is more likely to be requested by government agencies and legal bodies.

The process involves a Temple Translations representative attending the office of a Notary Public to swear an affidavit stating that the translation is accurate and has been prepared professionally. The Notary will then sign and mark the translation with their official seal.

The translation, the source text, and the affidavit will then be bound together. The original document is generally required for this type of certification.

Apostille (Legalisation)

The apostilled or legalised translation is generally only needed if the documents are to be presented overseas.

The process is the same as for a notarised translation, taking the document to the Foreign, Commonwealth, and Development Office for authentication. The FCDO will then append an apostille to the notary’s affidavit, giving it equal weight in all foreign jurisdictions that abide by the Hague Convention.

Examples of documents likely to require legalisation include those supporting an overseas marriage, adoption, visa, or job application.

Sworn Translation

In some jurisdictions, it is possible to become a sworn translator. This is a translator who is registered with, and whose translations are recognised by, the courts of that country.

While this concept does not exist in the UK, many of our linguists based in other jurisdictions hold sworn translator status. As such, we can provide sworn translations on request.

What types of documents usually need Certified Translation?

  • Birth certificates
  • Medical certificates
  • Marriage certificates
  • Academic certificates
  • Diplomas and transcripts
  • Training certificates
  • Divorce certificates
  • Death certificates
  • Certificates of incorporation
  • Evidence intended for use in court
  • Claims forms for service outside the UK

What type of translation do I need?

If you are in any doubt, it is always a good idea to check the certification requirements with the authority to which the translations are being submitted.

Contact our expert operations team at 020 7842 0171 or email

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What is a Certified Translation?

A certified translation tells a given authority that an accredited professional translator or a professional translation agency has completed the translation of a document.

A certified translation will usually have a copy of the translated document attached along with a “certification letter” that provides the translator’s and Temple Translations’ details along with a signed and dated statement affirming it is a “complete and accurate” translation of the original document.

Q. Do I need a sworn or certified translation?

A certified translation is the accepted type of official translation in the UK. Suppose you want a document translation in another language that UK authorities such as the Home Office (UK Border Agency) or General Register Office will accept. In that case, it will be a certified translation that you need.

The same is true of authorities in Ireland. The UK and Ireland are often referred to as being part of the Common Law Legal System.

A sworn translation is an equivalent for the vast majority of other countries.

Suppose you want a translated version of a document that authorities in France, Spain, Germany, or Poland will accept, for example. In that case, you will likely need a sworn or another official translation to meet that country’s specific requirements.

Q. Will I need to send you my original document?

Not always. If you have an easily legible copy, that should be enough to create a certified translation.

We may sometimes request that you do provide the original if the copy isn’t clear enough to read. There may also be circumstances where the original document’s presence is required for the translation to be accepted.

Q. Can you correct the spelling of my name or any other details in a document?

No. The certified translation process requires that your new document is a precise translation of the original.

If you need to have any amendments made to a document, you should contact the relevant authority before you send it to us for translation.

Q. What information do you need to produce a certified translated document?

The only information we usually need to start the translation and certification process is a few details:

  1. The purpose of your translation – is it intended for court proceedings? Are you applying for an educational course?
  2. The jurisdiction you intend to use it in – which country do you want to present this certified document to? Is it an embassy of a specific nation in a particular country

These details will help us confirm that you are getting the correct certification for the document and the purpose you have in mind.